Monday, August 25, 2008

My Husband is out of Credit Card Debt

When I was running the numbers for my update post, I realized something. The two credit cards we have remaining are both in my name only. So technically, on paper, my husband no longer has any credit card debt.

We didn’t really plan for this to happen, and it’s all my doing anyway. He doesn’t deal with the day-to-day finances or payment plan, and I devised it based solely on interest rates. When I opened our 0% Citibank card last fall, I used my name only because it was easier, and the money transferred was from the one card that is in his name only. So now that the Discover card is paid off, he has no more credit card debt.

His interest rates were only a few points higher than mine, and that’s most likely due to his student loans, which are 3 times larger than mine are. That and my obsession with calling my cards and negotiating lower interest rates, which he does not share.

Now my husband has a head start on me in improving his credit score, which is going to come in handy pretty soon…

9 comments:

Sharon said...

Congrats on paying off one of the cards! It won't be long before "you" are cc debt free too! I'll be cheering you on!

Anonymous said...

hey there, that's somethign pretty great though isn't it?
You are getting soo close!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I look forward to the day when I can say; no more debt.

Be well.

Scott Stiller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being that much closer to being debt free! I just have my car loan to pay off, as that's the last of my debt. I've also been trying to save more money. I've learned a lot about savings through working with ShoreBank to promote their high-yield savings account (at 3.5%, no monthly fees, $1 minimum, and online access - it's a good deal, here's more: http://shorebankdirect.sbk.com/).

Andrew said...

Hi JVW,

I sent you an email a while ago but never received a response; can you please email me so we can discuss my proposal?

Thanks,
Andrew

Anonymous said...

http://www.lifeandstyleforless.com/ offers great tips for living the good life on a budget. Congrats on eliminating credit card debt. Fran

Jerry said...

Good for you! Calling and pestering usually leads to lower rates. We just recently cut our debt down to only $1500. We're thrilled. It was at nearly $20,000. We made some huge changes and decided that living within our budget and getting out of debt was insurance for our future. It's made all the difference for us.

Jerry
www.leads4insurance.com

RH said...

Hi, I enjoy reading your site! Is it okay if you consider linking to my website on your page? Please email me back.

Thanks!

Harry
harry.roger10 gmail.com