Monday, June 30, 2008

My Car Insurance Pays Off

A few weeks ago, I was walking out the door to go to work when I saw something that stopped me dead in my tracks.


A thunderstorm had passed in the night and this branch broke off the tree, falling directly onto our car. That's just suuuper. I said a few choice words, then turned around and walked back inside to get my husband.

We assessed the damage and determined that the only thing wrong with the car (besides the huge branch still on it) was that the window was cracked. Not smashed, fortunately, but messed up pretty bad.


Since the crack was on the passenger side, the car could still be driven. We wanted to fix it quickly, though, before it got any worse.

I did a little research online and determined the cost to replace the windshield to be about $200. Then I called our insurance company to report the damage and see if they would cover any of it. I was skeptical, as we have a $500 deductible. Come to find out, in MA insurance companies cover 100% of windshield replacement. I was shocked! The insurance company even arranged for a windshield repairman to come to my office and replace the windshield.

I was impressed. I have never dealt with my auto insurer, as we have never had a claim with them. This experience was almost pleasant. I never had to worry or stress about the damage; as soon as I talked to them, the wheels were turning to fix the problem. Now that is what insurance is all about - peace of mind.

6 comments:

Sharon said...

I'm so glad there was not more damage...I think I would have had a fit if I saw that . . .glad the insurance company paid for it!

Alisa said...

We should have peace of mind when it comes to auto insurance. We often pay dearly for it; but we are glad when it is there when we need it.

Be well.

Kari said...

Just shows how a little due diligence can save anyone some money!! Great blog, if you'd like to trade links I'd be mroe than willing: http://artoffrugality.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I've had a tree hit my car before. It's fun to say that to people because they think you have back it backwards. I love responding with, "No the tree really hit my car. My car was stationary and the tree moved into it."

Anonymous said...

Good post.

moocifer said...

Echoing your comment about the good experience with your insurance company, I have had nothing but good experiences so far with my car insurance company. It is Amica.