Monday, December 10, 2007

Financial Adviser? Not Right Now.

Last week, I finally got around to my free meeting with the financial adviser. Yes, it was two months later, but, hey, I only canceled on him once. :) I'm a pretty busy gal.

In our meeting, we began by discussing goals and plans for now and for retirement. I told him our current #1 priority of paying off the nasty, evil credit card debt, and that we then planned on building an emergency fund and saving for retirement. I even outlined our eventual plan - contribute to the 401(k)'s until we reach the maximum employee match, then open Roth IRA's for each of us and contribute the maximum we can. After that, go back to the 401(k)'s. Simple, right?

It's actually very simple, straightforward... and not really necessary for professional input. I'm sure I'll want to do some research on how to allocate my funds (once I have some) and when we eventually have the money to invest directly, I'm going to want some help. But right now, there's not much for him to do. I did leave the meeting feeling better about the decisions I am making,but that's about it. Reassurance.

I'm just glad the meeting was free and I didn't have to pay for it. :) And I can't wait until we reach the point where we can use professional help. Just one more reason to get the debt monkey off our backs.

2 comments:

wealthy_1 said...

You may find that you won't need the assistance of a financial advisor. My husband does it himself. He took his 401K money and almost doubled it in 5 years!

BTW, I've tagged you for the 7 random or strange things about me meme. Can't wait to read yours!

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you got some professional advice and even better that you didn't have to pay!