Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Frugal Game

I have been reading No Credit Needed's 33 Days and 33 Ways to Save Money and Reduce Debt, and his 16th day really struck a nerve. He discussed frugal living and how saving money can be fun.

I'm still working on living more simply, but I definitely enjoy saving money. When I go grocery shopping, I challenge myself to keep within my list and budget. I often make my list too short on purpose to allow for a little bit of impulse buying- within reason. I write down the price of everything I pick up and total it up before I go to the cash register. The game is to get my estimate as close as possible to the actual price. I rock out to my iPod and compare prices by volume, sales, and coupons. Since I don't shop very much for other items besides food & household items, I take my time and enjoy it.

Right now we're living simply and not buying many items, but it's mostly because we're determined to pay off our debt. I haven't really thought how our finances and budget will change once that happens. Trying to keep the eye on the prize.

No comments: