Thursday, August 30, 2007

Junk Mail

I went to our mailbox today and picked up our mail from the past two days. There were two credit card statements, my bank statement, a Netflix and seven credit card offers. Between two people. In two days.

This is preposterous! Can you imagine how many credit cards I could open if I applied for all of them? If the past two days were average, I would receive 910 offers in a year. Not counting Saturdays.

They all have a special promotion, of course. Zero percent until 2008! Pre-approved for $10,000 limit! Free balance transfers! You lose a little credibility, however, when there are two envelopes - one addressed to me, one to my husband - each claiming that I met a special qualification. You mean living at this address?

So I go through them, every day, sorting out the real mail from the junk, taking out the actual applications and shredding them, throwing out the inserts. Today I got a little fed up. I don't want them anymore! I found a website, www.optoutprescreen.com, and removed my name from the list. They ask for your social security number, but I chose to leave that out.

Hopefully this makes a difference. I only put my name on the do not mail list, not my husband's name. The website states that it takes 5 days to process and then I should receive no more offers. I'll be counting how man I get and how many my husband gets to see how well this works, but I have high hopes. Aside from the annoyance, think of all the paper! And if you're easily tempted to open new accounts, this is a great way to remove the forbidden fruit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[p]In the springtime from the the [url=http://www.tiffayforsale.com]cheap tiffany and co[/url] year 2010 season, new designs of Pandora elegance of getting released . Tiffany jewellery is a entire world famous manufacturer and name . Also, we often comprehend Tiffany jewellery since the queen associated with jewellery since of the numerous all favor Tiffany and need to have upon these vibrant jewelries to exhibit off special layout as well as attractiveness . Moore & Co . The fantastic colouring from the tanzanite gem can be bought through through light/pale pink, to be able to loaded sapphire-type pink, while using priciest along with popular sort becoming that will connected with [url=http://www.tiffayforsale.com]discount tiffany[/url] the one that displays the deeply pink heart plus a tip connected with violet-purple halo across the surface borders . Classic design is Tiffany [url=http://www.tiffayforsale.com]tiffany for cheap[/url] (Tiffany) of work definition, this means that each one amazing perfect masterpiece can be passed down from generation to generation, the eternal charm . "We [url=http://www.tiffayforsale.com]tiffany and co sale[/url] are without a doubt the most vertically integrated jeweler in the world," said Kowalski . The spiritual knowledge from the Discount Pandora Bracelets Hometree, The Tree of Souls [url=http://www.tiffayforsale.com]cheap tiffany jewelry[/url] along with the Floating Mountains will enthrall you and expand your experience . Goodman?s Jewelers has the ?Goodman's personal ingredients label Diamond,? a diamond that no other jeweler carries.[/p]